Origin Wine and the employees of the Du Toitskloof Cooperative established the internationally accredited Fairhills Fairtrade social upliftment project in Rawsonville in 2005. The aim of the Fairhills Association is to create revenue, through their wine brands, which will enable them to uplift the people within the community by growing their skills base. The revenue generated through wine sales enable uOrigin Wine not only to develop new occupational opportunities for the community, but also to improve basic living conditions and provide cost efficient medical services to the Fairhills Community.
Social benefits include:
(1) Fairhills Day-Cares for 210 infants and toddlers;
(2) Construction of classrooms and kitchen at Fairhills Lorraine Primary School;
(3) Construction of the Fairhills computer centre, library and community hall;
(4) Purchase of Fairhills bus;
(5) Establishing entrepreneurial initiatives e.g. Fairhills Craft and Coffee shop;
(6) Undertaking the largest adult literacy program in the Western Cape;
(7) Alcohol Rehabilitation Program;
(8) Housing Renovation Program.
In light of the success achieved with Fairhills, Origin Wine has proceeded to develop a Fairtrade Organic initiative in Northern Cape and has recently completed another Fairtrade Project with producers in the Worcester region. For us Fairtrade is the best way of ensuring that the people involved with producing our wines, are as happy with the final product as we are.